Feed your son with yesterday’s bread
It’s Sunday evening and you ran out of anything useful for a dinner. Yeah, you could order a pizza or something, but then you’d wait for it 30 mins or so. And your son is kranky. Sounds familiar? Yes, I often found myself in such situation.
If you have some leftovers, most importantly a slice or two of yesterday’s bread, a spoon of milk and an egg, you can make him a quick French toast. For those of you who by any chance didn’t know how to prepare this simple meal, let’s explain.
Step by step
- First, pour the whole egg and some milk in a bowl and beat it with a fork, until you have a yellowish consistent liquid. Add some salt and/or some Parmesan cheese if you like.
- Next, slice your yesterday’s bread and prepare the pan. Pour some oil in a frying pan and warm it on a stove.
- Soak bread slices in the mixture (prepared in the step one) and dip them into the hot oil. Be careful when doing this – the oil might start jumping on your hands! : )
- Fry each side of the bread for about a minute and a half, at the most.
- Take it out from the pan and place it somewhere out of reach from your starving child, at least until it gets a little bit colder (for obvious reasons).
- Serve with butter and milk…
- Enjoy… Yummy!
How it should look like
Here are some pictures displaying the perfect coloring of the famous French toast from… well… Croatia: